Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Challenge Board #3: Gardens


Challenge Board #3: Fairy Gardens

Previous Challenge Board: Challenge Board #2: Fairy Code

Garden Planning Challenge Sheet


Our strawberries are already flowering, and the kids have been helping us plant and transplant lettuce and spinach. Soon it will be time for summer veggies! Before we start on our summer garden, I gave the kids a garden challenge of their own.

Shhh, it's math. My Garden Planning Challenge Worksheet instructs students to use toothpick "fences" and graph paper to learn about area and perimeter, beginning with guided word problems and ending with open-ended challenges. I designed this worksheet to have something for all three kids (7, 9, and 11). You can find it for free at my TPT page. Enjoy!
 
(PS. Jeff is our garden gnome. There is no reference to him on the sheet.)

Easter Crosswords & Word Scrambles

Easter Word Searches (Nonreligious)
Easter Crossword (Religious)

April is Poetry Month!

Our favorite poet is Jack Prelutsky, and you can find his work at Poets.org in: Poems Kids Like.

My daughter and I are memorizing Los Pollitos Dicen Pio Pio. We've got the first few lines down. Wish us luck!

We're studying Freedom Train by Langston Hughes, a 1947 poem about segregation in America.

Still Life

Here are a couple of videos we used to help us with our still life challenge. My daughter absolutely adores Art for Kids Hub, do I found this for her: Healthy Snack Stack Folding Surprise

A lot of the videos I found on my still life search showed kids how to draw from a drawing tutorial, like Art for Kids Hub does. Instead, I wanted a video that encouraged them to arrange a still life and, you know, draw it. So for a bit of art history and an easy demonstration of how to draw a still life, we used: Paul Cezanne Still Life Project.

Challenge Board #4: Animal Cryptarithms & The Great Wave

(Link will work once the post is up)

No comments:

Post a Comment